Thursday, January 2, 2014

Devotion Of The Day: Spiritual Load

1 Peter 5:7 “Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.”

Matthew 11:28- "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."

With one person already on her back, i took a running start and successfully landed on the back of a girl who was on another girls back. My friend took three steps with two girls on her back and just simply collapsed. She had exceeded the load that she could handle.

Do you ever just feel like you need a spiritual rest? Lately I feel like my "spiritual load" is at it's max. Should I have a "spiritual load" at all? Matthew 11:28  answers that question quite nicely. The verse doesn't say " Come to me and we will share the load," it just says come and I will allow you to rest. 1 Peter 5:7 also makes a distinct observation, the verse says to "cast ALL your anxieties on Him"- you don't have to carry ANY of the load, you just have to give it to the Lord.

I've observed that rest, to many people, doesn't line up with rest in 1 Peter 5:7 God may not fix the situation. He may not give back what was taken, He also may not work in the way that you envisioned. But cast your cares on the Lord and He will completely take the load and change your heart. Psalm 37:4 says "Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart." That almost sounds like an excuse to get anything you want, but i promise you that it is not. When you delight yourself in the person of God, you are changed. What God wants begins to become what you want. Your desire literally becomes the Lord. 

If your struggling to let the Lord handle your burdens, I encourage you to just give them to Him.You will be freed and you will be left watching God make the best out of every single circumstance in life. Fully delight yourself in the Lord and your heart will follow after God's will. 

Respond: What do you need to cast upon the Lord? What is the desire of your heart? Is it God? How could letting God handle your burdens change how you view hard circumstances? Spend time in prayer asking God to allow you to hand over your burdens. 

Reflect: Psalm 62:1-2 “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”

No comments:

Post a Comment