Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Devotion Of The Day- Good Intentions

Yesterday marked the first day of the new year. All over, people are reflecting on the previous year. Broken relationships, tender moments, and bitter memories flood minds everywhere. People are always eager to begin resolutions that may only last a week. Commonly, people wish to loose weight, others may wish to learn something new, the list continues of intentions of creating a better year. 

These things all are seeming good, right? Yes and no. 

When I was about six years old I decided that I wanted to surprise my mom by cleaning the television. I drenched a rag with water and I began to slop that wet rag onto the television. As I continued in my cleaning process the TV began to make noises. To a six year old the noises blaring out of that television resembled the battle scene from Saving Private Ryan. It got louder and I got more concerned. As sparks started to fly, my dad ran into the room just in time to keep the television from blowing out. 

I had good intentions, but I went about helping my mom in all of the wrong ways. 

Resolutions are kind of like a six year old washing down a TV set. You have great intentions when you set out on your path of completing your resolution, but your going about it all wrong. Colossians 3:17 says "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."  Everything you do can be to God's glory, because you allow God to live through you. You can get healthy and give God the glory, You can learn a useless hobby and use it to glorify God. Everything  can be used to glorify God. However, there is another part to Colossians 3:17-Thankfulness. I encourage you to find ways to be thankful in 2014. Thank God that He has allowed you to become more healthy. Thank God that He is able to mend your heart from a broken relationship, Thank God that your able to be in school, even when you don't want to.Thank God that He's given you enough blessings to clutter your house. Thank God that He allowed you to finally learn how to use a pogo stick after years of trying. Whatever it is- be thankful. 

Respond: What keeps you from having a heart of thankfulness? How could God change your outlook on the new year, if you allowed Him to change your heart? What would be different if you chose thankfulness?

Reflect: 1 Corinthians 10:31 "Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment