Friday, January 3, 2014

Devotion Of The Day: Not The Plan

Prov. 3:5-6 - "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

I don't enjoy not knowing what's going to happen. I read the last chapter of a book first, I keep a schedule, I love lists, and I want structure. Large surprises in life are not my thing. So when something comes along in life that isn't planned, I'm left feeling helpless.

A change in plans always leaves me in a vulnerable place. Feeling vulnerable and exposed is a reminder of just how badly you really need God. That you cannot trust in anything but the Lord, and that trust is a powerful one. You have no power, no control, and that's exactly where you desire to be.

Proverbs 3:5-6 is such a wonderful message. The meaning of trust in this verse in the original Hebrew means "to be secure or confident."  Another Hebrew meaning also makes this passage equally encouraging. In verse 6 it says " He will make straight your paths," it translates to meaning " to lead, direct, to lead straight along." If you read back with that in mind- Be confident in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct and lead your straight along. Knowing this, I don't mind the unknown nearly as much.

Trust in the Lord- He will lead you to the right path and He will follow you through it. Don't lean on your own understanding.

Respond: How can not knowing make you trust God more? How can it make you trust God less? When you choose to trust in Him, what is the outcome?

Reflect: Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Psalm 62:8

In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me. Psalm 86:7

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. Psalm 37:5

It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8

No comments:

Post a Comment